Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

  
Personal Rating- 7.0 out of 10                                IMDB Rating- 8.4 out of 10 
                                                                          (currently #63 on IMDB top 250)
Genre- Crime, Mystery, Thriller

Plot Summary- A group of five men are assembled to pull a quick job that will bring in a hefty sum of dough for everyone involved. These men have no clue who each other are, and are not to know each others names, or speak of anything other than details of how the job will be pulled while they are together. However, the job goes terribly wrong, and the criminals turn against each other, suspicious that someone is a rat. The film picks up with the aftermath of the job and the viewer is left to figure out who the rat is, what took place during the job, and how the story will end.

Personal Opinion- Now I know you guys are going to give me a lot of scruff for not matching personal rating to the average rating of this film on IMDB. I just believe that sometimes classic films are just a tad over-rated. Yes, I am aware that this is Quinton Tarantiono's debut film.  There is a non-linear time line in this film which makes the story a little hard to follow but that's not why I bumped off a few points in the rating. I'm sure most of you older guys out there have more appreciation for this film than I do, but I mean, there just kinda felt like there was something missing in this film and I cant quite figure out what it might be.This movie was made in the 90's and based on the 80's, however most people will argue the nostalgic value of this film and that "classic films are like wine, they just get better with age". 
     
If you've seen Pulp fiction and liked it (I don't know who couldn't), you'll probably find it in your favor to check this movie out as well for this list of key similarities-
  • Superb acting
  • Suit and tie criminals
  • General cool and laid back essence
  • Swagger walk
  • Guns guns guns..
  • Unloading the full clip


    I've got to say, I've loved Harvey Keitels roles in both movies as well. I'll probably be writing a Pulp Fiction review somewhere down the line as a result of watching this film..










 
 Memorable Quotes-

Mr. Orange: What happens if the manager won't give you the diamonds?
Mr. White: When you're dealing with a store like this, they're insured up the ass. They're not supposed to give you any resistance whatsoever. If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in. Everybody jumps. He falls down screaming, blood squirts out of his nose, nobody says fucking shit after that. You might get some bitch talk shit to you, but give her a look like you're gonna smash her in the face next, watch her shut the fuck up. Now if it's a manager, that's a different story. Managers know better than to fuck around, so if you get one that's giving you static, he probably thinks he's a real cowboy, so you gotta break that son of a bitch in two. If you wanna know something and he won't tell you, cut off one of his fingers. The little one. Then tell him his thumb's next. After that he'll tell you if he wears ladies underwear. I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.
 ____________________________________________________________

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I am off to check out Big Daddy Don Bodine's truck, the Behemoth, at the Carson fair grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pulp fiction is a movie EVERYONE should watch, not just men! MEN: GET ALL OF YOUR WOMEN TO WATCH THAT MOVIE PRONTO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my favorite tarantino movie. great post! i love mr. pink :P

    ReplyDelete